Understanding the Different Types of Tombstones: Choosing the Right Memorial for your Loved One
Losing a loved one is a deeply emotional experience, and choosing the perfect tombstone to honor their memory is a critical step in the grieving process. Tombstones serve as permanent memorials, allowing us to pay our respects and remember those who have passed away. However, selecting a tombstone can be overwhelming due to the wide range of options available. To make an informed decision, it is important to understand the different types of tombstones and their significance.
1. Flat Grave Markers: These tombstones lie flat on the ground, typically made of granite or bronze. Flat grave markers are neat and simple, providing a dignified memorial for loved ones. They are commonly used in cemeteries that prefer a more uniform appearance.
2. Upright Monuments: Upright tombstones, also known as headstones or gravestones, are the most traditional and widely recognized type. They are vertical and can be made of various materials, such as granite, marble, or even bronze. Upright monuments offer ample space for personalization, allowing for engraved inscriptions, symbols, or images that capture the essence of your loved one.
3. Slanting Monuments: A slanted tombstone has a slanted face, leaning backward for better visibility. Slanting monuments combine the classic style of an upright tombstone with the simplicity of a flat marker. They provide a graceful and distinguished look, making them a popular choice for many families.
4. Ledger Stones: Ledger stones are a unique type of tombstone that function as a horizontal ledger, covering the entire grave. These large stones often have engraved inscriptions on the top surface, providing an opportunity for a more detailed memorial tribute. Ledger stones are commonly seen in cemeteries with a rich history, as they add a touch of grandeur and elegance to the burial site.
5. Cremation Memorials: With the rising popularity of cremation, cremation memorials have become an alternative to traditional burial options. They come in various forms, including cremation benches, pedestals, and even cremation gardens. These memorials provide a serene place for families to cherish the memories of their loved ones who chose cremation.
When selecting a tombstone, consider factors such as the personality and preferences of the deceased, cemetery regulations, and your own budget. It is essential to work closely with a reputable monument dealer who can guide you through the process and ensure that your chosen memorial complies with all requirements.
The memorial you choose for your loved one will act as a lasting tribute, preserving their memory for generations to come. Understanding the different types of tombstones and the significance they hold can help you make an informed decision and create a personalized memorial that truly represents the life and legacy of your loved one. Let the tombstone stand as a testament to your cherished memories, reflecting the love and respect you have for them, even after they have departed.
Want to get more details?
Forget me not Tombstones
41 Spring Street, Ophirton, Johannesburg, 2091
We are leaders in the creation, manufacturing and installing of Tombstones and Memorials. With 22 yrs in the Tombstone Industry, we have an extensive range of Beautiful Tombstone Designs. We offer Quality Granite Tombstones at Affordable Prices. We have a resident Tombstone Artist that can assist you and your family in creating the perfect Tombstone, a work of art, for your loved one.